The professional resume for David Chapa may be downloaded here -> David A Chapa
David A. Chapa. email@example.com
Castle Rock, CO. 720.272.8452. LinkedIn
David Chapa is a data-driven technology professional and innovative strategic thinker able to identify market opportunities and trends early and motivate organizations to capitalize on them. He has a proven track record of accelerating business by developing strategic plans to target specific customer pain points that generate more awareness, increase sales opportunities, and close more deals.
David has over 30 years of success in leading sales/technical sales, partner management, global alliances, solutions marketing, professional services, business development, product management, and strategic marketing teams. He possesses strong communication skills, both verbal and non-verbal, to build deep relationships internally as well with customers. He believes in transparency and devotion to individual growth as the keys to a successful high performing team. David has broad technical expertise in data center technologies from data storage and protection to the cloud and big data where he has led teams to efficiently bring products to market.
David is a world-class professional speaker and has been the guest at many technology events and podcasts where he delivers “the state of the industry” backed by market research, his custom analysis, and experiential knowledge. His audiences have always given him the highest ratings, and the organizations he has represented in the past have had great success with customer follow up and deal generation.
“David has built a career out of lifting the mundane aspects of storage and backup to a performance that focuses on business value and capabilities. He could probably make the phone book seem interesting and relevant, but combining a performer’s heart and skill with three decades of IT vendor experience is something to behold.”
-Jason Buffington, VP Strategy, Veeam
“David knows not only the technology but also the business processes surrounding technology. David has consistently over-delivered on expectations, and his relationship with customers is always outstanding.”
-Anthony DiCicco, SVP Client Services, Ingres
“David brings to Backup and Recovery what Anthony Bourdain brought to cooking. His brain goes like the energizer bunny and always a really lively contributor to any activity”.
-Guy Churchward, CEO, Datera
“His business and technical acumen are off the charts. His “big picture” foundation enables him to understand the most complex ideas and strategies and articulate to others up and down the corporate org chart value, solutions and market insights.”
-Jeff Ramby, VP, Cloud Business Group, Oracle
Career history driving innovation for high-growth, international organizations
A unique combination of technical expertise, business acumen, and a natural storyteller makes David a highly sought after, charismatic, and versatile leader. David’s career portfolio is comprised of multiple global entities. Repeated success identifying subpar operations; developing and executing robust action plans to drive innovation, increase productivity, and facilitate stakeholder satisfaction. Exemplary leadership and communication skills and excels in demanding environments.
Highlights of Expertise
♦ Strategic Business Development
♦ Thought Leadership
♦ Team Development & Guidance
♦ Sales & Product Evangelism
♦ Professional Services Leadership
♦ Transformational Leadership
The CTE Group
Consulting and Industry analyst firm focused on datacenter technologies including cloud, big data, data storage, data protection, IT disaster recovery, and business continuity practices.
Senior Analyst, Founder (2016 to Present)
David is the chief analyst/consultant and founder of The CTE Group. He leads all sales, business development, discovery sessions, and market analysis.
He has authored 1000s of articles, blogs, research briefs, e-books, and reports on the topic of data protection, data governance, data storage, including the book, “Implementing Backup and Recovery” with Wiley and Sons Publishing Co, which includes a deep dive section on both disaster recovery and business impact analysis. Additionally, he was the technical editor on six books from cryptography to Cloud Security. David’s activities at The CTE Group include but not limited to:
♦ Strategic Marketing & Campaigns
♦ IT Strategy Planning and Execution
♦ Business Development Initiatives
♦ Sales Enablement
♦ Product Marketing
♦ Content Development
♦ Product Management
♦ Competitive Intelligence
♦ Advisory services
♦ GTM Planning and Messaging
Foster and cultivate open and collaborative lines of communication with a diverse portfolio of clients. Utilize findings to integrate appropriate systems to consistently meet or exceed client expectations. Develop and lead high-caliber personnel in daily efforts. Serve as Keynote Speaker at various events and conferences.
Project: Interim CTO, Value-Added Reseller (2016-2017)
- Solely defined and established Information Lifecycle Management and Governance (ILMG) practice for data protection, complete with cold-call scripts, engaging workshops, and presentations.
- Oversaw and managed complex hybrid and public/private cloud deployment initiatives; focused on staying within established budgets and time constraints.
- Hired and managed technical pre-sales/post-sales staff.
- Created all sales enablement content and delivered regular training to ensure the sales team was equipped in the field.
David was a core member of the Product Strategy team and senior global evangelist, responsible for driving long term vision and roadmap.
Senior Director, Product Strategy & Global Evangelist (2017 to 2018)
Collaborate with the VP of Product Strategy to create a closed-loop feedback strategy with sales and field engineers to bring the customer voice to Product Strategy and the Office of CTO.
- Developed a long term strategic vision and messaging to be delivered by the senior product strategy team.
- Worked closely with Product Management and Engineering
- Drive new feature requests and innovation to maintain a competitive edge in the data center and cloud ecosystems.
- Present monthly to the Office of CTO, and Product Management the user feedback and business cases for feature enhancements and new feature requests.
EMC – Emerging Technologies Division
Served in a multifaceted role revolving around thought leadership, technology roadmap development, and team mentoring and guidance.
Global CTO (2015 to 2016)
Orchestrated cross-functional vertical disciplines of a geographically-dispersed team of 12 Field CTOs. Developed the team into a world-class group that would meet with regularly the CxOs of some of the largest companies in the world. Worked closely with sales to drive millions of dollars in sales to further increase portfolio value during the Dell acquisition. He held full accountability for developing and delivering key features and product enhancements. David and his team were considered the Subject Matter Experts (SME) for Big Data, Analytics, EDM, Healthcare, and Media & Entertainment assisting sales and sales engineering to act upon untapped opportunities to drive business ROI. Developed and administered budgets and was the driving force behind the Global Alliances relationship and GSI management.
- Kept up to date on all new and emerging technology trends; made appropriate recommendations at executive meetings to facilitate business growth.
- Presented the corporate technology vision strategy to key stakeholders; while effectively managing expectations.
- Led quarterly Product Management & Engineering Business Reviews with the Global CTO teams to influence the roadmap and product trajectory.
Evault, a Seagate Company
A core member of the leadership team; responsible for the CTO office.
Chief Technology Evangelist & Senior Director of Technology (2013 to 2015)
Collaborated with the VP of Research & Development (R&D) / CTO on the product and go-to-market strategy development. Utilized data analytics and Business Intelligence (BI) expertise to conceptualize and define innovative strategies for acquisition and to drive additional revenue. He served in a dual role as Senior Director of Technology and Interim Solutions GM for the bulk of his tenure.
- Forged collaborative relationships with sales/business development divisions to achieve sales goals.
- P&L accountability as the interim cloud solutions business unit GM.
- Led the design and development of highly-impactful direct channel marketing campaigns.
- Oversaw and managed new technology rollouts in conjunction with the product management teams.
- Developed & established aggressive Key Performance Indicator (KPI) metrics to drive sales revenue.
Employed transformational leadership capabilities to drive product awareness and corporate profile.
Senior Technologist (2003-2005)
Technical field resource to sales, marketing, and product management for customer engagements, public speaking, and writing market requirements documents (MRDs) along with supporting business cases for feature requests and enhancements.
Product Manager (2005-2008)
Led product management for Quantum’s award-winning high-performance filesystem, StorNext. Owned the product line for media & entertainment, geo-spatial, Federal, and HPC customers. Develop long and short-term roadmaps, define GTM strategy, created requirements based on constituent feedback and input, create pricing for Quantum sales and partners, develop and present sales and technical presentations for knowledge transfer, as well as partner with product marketing to develop sales collateral.
Chief Technology Evangelist & Senior Director of Technology (2011 to 2013)
Directed social media, strategy development, marketing, and relationship management efforts. Focused efforts on propelling organizational growth and success.
- Drove company blog traffic by 500%.
- Ultimately doubled the company’s share of ink in trade publications.
- Employed expertise to create and implement a comprehensive new media marketing plan.
- Increase sales “at-bats” to close the critical strategic business to expand Quantum footprint and influence.
- Heavily influenced product roadmap and vision trajectory.
Senior Analyst & Consultant – Data Protection (2010 to 2011) Enterprise Strategy Group
Director of Data Protection Strategic Marketing & Global Alliances (2008 to 2010) NetApp, Inc.
Education & Credentials
Coursework in Computer Science
Harper College (1984-1985)
Illinois College (1985-1986)
- Business Management & Pragmatic Marketing training
- Value Selling training
- PSS: Professional Selling Skills training
- White Paper: Beyond Modern Data Protection, 2019 (Commissioned by NetApp)
- White Paper: The Beat Goes On, 2019 (Commissioned by NetApp)
- White Paper: NetApp Data Fabric, 2019 (Commissioned by NetApp)
- Technical Marketing “Gorilla Guides”: Actual Tech Media, 2019 (Commissioned by Actual Tech Media)
- Pure Storage
- Data Foundations Training: Disaster Recovery, 2019 (Commissioned by Actual Tech Media)
- Virtual Strategy Magazine, “Virtual Data Protection: The Next Generation,” 2012
- BI Korea, “Data Protection in a Virtual World,” 2012
- Scientific Computing World, “HPC in 2012”
- Storage Newsletter, “Top 10 Storage Predictions for 2012”
- Implementing Backup and Recovery, Wiley & Sons, 2003
- Samples of content development
- Blog Content
- Sample of Video Content